And let this one sink in, such a great analogy in helping us understand the messiness of entering in to justice ministry...
Questions for Reflection
- What has been the moment or season of greatest struggle and growth in your life? What did that time teach you about yourself and about God? How did that situation deepen your understanding of yourself and of God?
It is often through struggles and trials that we learn most about ourselves and God. It is through these situations then, that we are better equipped to extend the love and lessons that we have learned more deeply and fully that we can extend to others
- Has there been a moment in ministering to someone when you have felt way beyond your depth? What did that situation teach you about yourself and God?
Opportunities for Application
These are opportunities to engage with your community in new and deeper ways and see hear from and even meet residents not like you
- Find your Community Board - These are lively meetings where you can hear from the historic residents, elected officials, small business and police officers in your community about the needs, desires and struggles there
- Find your Precinct - In a similar way, this meeting helps you meet the invested community members and meet the officers patrolling your neighborhood
For Further Reading
- Love Walked Among Us by Paul E. Miller - An incredible book that helps us appreciate and then better extend the incredible love Jesus demonstrated and perfected
- From Brokenness to Community by Jean Vanier - Be prepared to be undone. This powerful short book unfolds for us how the broken among us are are the means God uses often to teach us to love